Toolkit: How to Lobby for the Parental Rights Amendment During Congressional Recess
This week and next, your U.S. Representative will be at home in your district. Congress is on a scheduled recess so the Members can hear from their constituents. That’s you!
So, we have scheduled a special webinar with our president, Will Estrada, this Thursday, February 16, at 9pm EST to bring you up to speed on how to lobby your U.S. Representative this week (or next) to become an original cosponsor on the Parental Rights Amendment in Congress.
Rep. Debbie Lesko (AZ) plans to introduce the Amendment as soon as the recess is over, in the first week of March. And we need to add as many original cosponsors as we can, to show the rest of Congress (and especially House and Judiciary Committee leadership!) that this is a serious matter that deserves a committee hearing and votes in Congress.
It may be tempting to leave this for someone else, or to wait until things have already reached fever pitch. But if we don’t make enough noise for parental rights now, the Amendment effort will stall. So, please plan to make your voice heard right now!
Here’s what we’re asking you to do:
- Call your U.S. Representative and ask him or her to sign on as an original sponsor of the Parental Rights Amendment. Just call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121, ask to be connected to your Representative, and tell the staffer why you support the Parental Rights Amendment, and that they can find more information by talking with Annie Clark in Representative Debbie Lesko’s office.
- Reach out to your U.S. Representative’s district office and set up a 20-minute slot that you can come and talk to them about parental rights.
- Register here to attend the brief webinar and training with our President, Will Estrada, on Thursday at 9pm EST/6pm PST.
- Attend the webinar online using this Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86749360727?pwd%3DRWVITDlVUTVWMXNBMzV1MFg4K2JoUT09
- Check out our toolkit at parentalrightsfoundation.org/howtolobby/ to find our two-pager on the Amendment and other helpful resources.
- Visit your U.S. Representative as scheduled and share with him or her the things you learned at the webinar. Or, if you can’t attend the webinar, simply explain to your U.S. Representative why parental rights are so important to you and urge him or her to contact Annie Clark in Representative Debbie Lesko’s office to sign on as an original cosponsor of the Amendment.
And that’s it!
Congress will be returning to D.C. the first week of March, so our opportunity to reach out to our elected officials while they’re at home is closing fast.
Please take time today to get your U.S. Representative signed on to the Parental Rights Amendment in the U.S. House!